Friday, November 5, 2010

Thrifting Adventure #3

Thrifting Adventure #3 was a complete accident. I only wanted to spend Deepavali by sneaking a peek at the brand new Uniqlo store at Fahrenheit 88 - but the INSANE queue (read: Tanjung Rambutan level of INSANE) turned me off right away.

We made a quick stop at Sungei Wang for lunch, my bowl of porridge was hugilimongus (my way of saying insanely huge) and I had to walk the 'full' feeling off or else I will have a bad tummy ache for the rest of the day. And whaddaya know, I turned a corner and there it be - a thrift shop.

With EVERYTHING at RM5.

Needless to say, I made a beeline for it and started flicking clothes on hangers with a feverish frenzy.

This thrifting place is awesome for jackets, cardigans (but all oversized, sadly) and (!!) high-waisted pants, plaid skirts and an awesome pair of fall-coloured tweed shorts.

There's practically no one in the shop either so I could leisurely browse and try on stuff without having to worry if other people were gonna get to it first. :P But seriously, I don't get why people don't enjoy/appreciate thrift shops more, and crowd in places selling clothes that are obviously patterned after the styles of clothing from decades past... you get much cheaper alternatives in a thrift store, and once in a while you come across a designer label or something that looks like it got inspired by one. Sure it's hard to find something your size (especially the walking twigs) but bigger sized people with hippo thighs like me will definitely go 'rambang mata' if you take proper looks at thrift store clothes.

Plus it's environmentally friendly since you're basically recycling clothes and lessen demand for cheaply produced clothes (i.e. from Korea or Taiwan) that were most probably cheap in the first place because they use low quality cloth and cheap, unethical labour. It's not that I have any sort of hate on those clothes (I love many of them too much till I end up not wanting to buy any, and many are cleverly constructed), but when it's cheap, it's gotta be cheap for a reason.

Enough with the talk, let's see what I manage to harvest this time around...


No thanks to my lousy camera, this coat is looks like pale beige/off white but it's really light mint green. What I really want is a camel one, but this fits the bill just as well... XP Hey, RM5 for a coat, where else you gonna find that?


A high-waisted pants! I've always wanted to see what the fuss of wearing high-waisted pants is about... so what better way to jump into it by bypassing the expensive ones in the shop and to a thrift version. With only RM5 you won't be losing much anyway right? Well turns out that it fit me like a dream, and will go with my thrifted Burberry shirt and a pair of suspenders that I managed to pick up (;P) very well.

RM10 for a coat and a high-waisted pants. Wheeeeee

3 comments:

  1. dekat mana kedai tu? bawa aku nanti.gila cam best ja.tgok blog hang semua baju lawa2 n murah.nanti bawak aku soping sama.hehe:)

    20 gak? membe la nih.hehe:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ni kat Sungei Wang tapi terpencil sket la kedai ni.. kena pegi tingkat atas.. bile u free dan kat kl bagitau ek, nanti tgk camne... hehe sebab i ada exam skrg.. pastu cuti kena organise event.. cuti pun x mcm cuti je.. haha nanti kite tgk camne ;)

    ReplyDelete